Delivering Cost-effective Growth in the Metro
Metro network operators are faced with a number of challenges. Bandwidth is growing strongly, with many network operators seeing traffic growth of 30% per year or more in the metro, driven primarily by internet video. Enterprise traffic is also escalating significantly as enterprises migrate their IT to public data centers and cloud services, driving the demand for cloud connect services and increasing Ethernet service bandwidth by close to 30% per year. Another key trend driving the metro is data center interconnect, with the number and scale of data centers in key metros continuing to grow strongly, together with a push to distribute data centers closer to users in order to reduce latency and enable new cloud-based services.
Coriant Metro Transport Solutions Portfolio
These trends in video, cloud, and DCI are driving demand for a more scalable and flexible metro that can adapt to changing traffic patterns and grow cost effectively. To address this requirement, the broad Coriant metro transport portfolio, including the Coriant® 7100 Nano™ Packet Optical Transport Platform, Coriant® 7100 Pico™ Packet Optical Transport Platform, Coriant® mTera® Universal Transport Platform, Coriant® 7090 Packet Transport Solutions, Coriant Groove™ G30 DCI Platform, Coriant® Transport Network Management System (TNMS), and Coriant Transcend™ SDN Solution, enables network operators to select from a wide range of technologies to optimally address their current and future network needs. These technologies include the Coriant® Pluggable Optical Layer, ROADM-on-a-blade, colorless, directionless, and/or contentionless add/drop, high-density 10G and 100G, Coriant CloudWave™ Optics, OTN switching, packet transport, universal switching, SONET/SDH, ASON/GMPLS, and SDN.
Coriant Metro Transport Solutions Technologies
The following examples demonstrate how Coriant metro transport solutions can enable cost-effective growth:
- Fabricless switching in the 7100 Nano and Pico enables switching to be added incrementally without the need for an upfront investment in fabrics.
- Universal switching in the mTera UTP offers cost savings by mixing OTN, SONET/SDH, and packet traffic on the same 100G interface while also providing investment protection against changing traffic patterns and client types with the ability to define interface and sub-interface protocols in software.
- With the Pluggable Optical Layer, new functionality can be easily and cost effectively added or replaced by swapping pluggables, while preserving investment in those pluggables that do not need to change. The Pluggable Optical Layer delivers CapEx savings of up to 30% relative to traditional solutions based on individual module per function or system-on-a-blade architectures.
- Converging packet and optical layers in the same shelf can also deliver CapEx savings of up to 25%, relative to separate platforms for packet and optical.
- Leveraging the optical express capabilities of ROADM-on-a-blade enables wavelengths to be quickly and cost effectively added to the network. However, while not every network needs ROADM on day one, the Pluggable Optical Layer offers FOADM to ROADM upgrade with the cost-effective addition of WSS pluggables.
- In terms of network management, TNMS improves network efficiency and enables cost-effective growth through network discovery of nodes and services in real time to ensure that its database is always synchronized with the network while also delivering end-to-end multi-layer service provisioning. TNMS also provides a future-proof solution with the ability to seamlessly transition to SDN and to migrate from one packet protocol to another (e.g., from VLAN cross-connect to MPLS-TP).
For more information on this important topic, download the new Coriant Metro Transport Solutions Brief.